Thursday, February 9, 2012

Reaction to "What I've Learned From Men"


            I found the essay to be quite interesting. The topic captured my attention right away, and I was immediately drawn to know more about the contents of the essay. I found it to be quite explicatory of the comparison of women and men. It certainly brought to light many issues that are relevant in the present.

            The author used a mix of formal and informal writing in the essay, which gave the text a touch of her personality. It was informal in a way that it seemed conversational. I could imagine the author actually saying the text to a peer. Also, it was formal enough to grasp the attention of the readers and properly underscore the topic’s importance.

            There were certain points in the essay, which I agreed with and opposed with. First, I agree with her point that there are women in society need to exert more power like men do. Society’s conditioning of women to be subservient beings is still intact and evident today. Also, women are treated inferior to men and are forced, in different circumstances, to act according to how men prefer women to act like: submissive, weak and reserved to the point that they hide all other emotions. However, I disagree with her opinion that many women are still like this. Through the times, women have become more independent in all aspects of their lives. I don’t agree with the author that women have to be curt to be heard. I think women should act the way they prefer to act like, without considering the judgment of those around them. We all have a voice, and it is up to us to determine how others hear us. It is not up to men or strong-opinioned feminists to tell a woman how to behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment